Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tournez Manèges !


I didn't know that the way a carousel turns can depend on the country you are in.

So I search for some answer : "In the UK and Europe, merry-go-rounds usually turn clockwise, while in North America, carousels typically go anti-clockwise (or "counter-clockwise"). One mounts a real horse by lifting one's right leg over the animal's back as it stands with its head towards one's left (the horse's left side is called its "near" side). Likewise for a carousel that turns anti-clockwise: one stands on the near side of the horse to mount (towards the center of the carousel, not on its outer edge). One possible reason for carousels in the USA turning anti-clockwise may be so that the rider can use their right hand to catch a brass ring." (wikipedia)

Now I'm confused... This carousel up there is turning anti-clockwise, isn't it?
So then... maybe it's not french?! We must go and check ! 

4 comments:

Luis Gomez said...

What a sweet image.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Love your research, mon amie... After one of my readers commented on the turning of these carousels I went back through all of my photos in Paris to see the rotation... some clockwise and some counter. Even looked at photos from other places and could not conclusively say.

I like your new profile photo... très chic!

Bisous,
Genie

o2 said...

@ Luis : Thank you !

@ Genie : Oh yes, that's true : I've just been through your photos too, and there must be a reason for that. Maybe it's the country there were made in. I'll go further in my research and I'll keep you posted ! :-)

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Merci! I have more photos to post and a list of more to "hunt" on my next trip to Paris!

Bisous,
G

Copyrigths

Les images de ce blog ne sont pas libres de droit, merci de ne pas les utiliser sans mon autorisation.